Julie Pennington: upcoming artist-in-residence


Julie Pennington working in her Bowral studio

Julie Pennington is a ceramic artist based in Bowral, NSW Southern Highlands. Originally from the Blue Mountains, Julie studied in education in Canberra, then moved Sydney where she studied and worked in textile design. In 2001 she moved to the Southern Highlands and started studying ceramics. Her early ceramic work reflected her interest in textiles, investigating ceramic printing techniques on thrown and slip cast vessels. During her 2013 residency at Sturt Craft Centre in Mittagong, the direction of Julie's work shifted towards exploring the sculptural elements of ceramics. Julie now focuses on porcelain sculptural work, using finely rolled coils to construct intricate and delicate forms that explore positive and negative space, line and movement, and the interplay of light and shadow. Drawing inspiration from the natural environment as well as her ongoing interest in textiles, wire and woven forms, Julie's work evolves in an intuitive way, becoming absorbed in the process of building, and allowing the making process to inform her work. Julie has recently exhibited in The Course of Objects at Manly Art Gallery, at Chinaclay Gallery in Clovelly, M.Contemporary Gallery in Woollahra, Edwina Corlette Gallery in Brisbane, and last month she held a solo show titled Branching Out, at Mu Studio Gallery in Mosman.

Julie Pennington, Twig Vessels I & II, 2015, Porcelain and black stain

While I'm at Gunyah I plan to gather inspiration for a new ceramic works, expanding on my current interest in the surfaces of tree trunks and plant details. I'm looking forward to connecting with the bush on a daily basis – walking and having time to contemplate and observe things more closely. I don't get to spend much time on the coast, so I'll welcome the possibility of new ideas being generated from fossicking on the beach. Having the bush and the sea at my doorstep at Gunyah will indulge my love of collecting things and examining details to use in my work by taking photos and make sketches too refer to back in my studio. I'm looking forward to immersing myself in this new environment, and am excited to see how this residency impacts my work.

Julie Pennington, Leaf sculpture, 2015, Glazed Porcelain

To see more of Julie's work please visit her website - juliepenningtonceramics.net